[mythtv-users] Harmony 700?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 20:15:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Costco is selling the Harmony 700 remote right now, so that caught my eye
> the other day.  The price is $100, about the same as Amazon.  I searched
> this forum and found that no one has posted anything about this remote.
> Anyone using this remote?  Is it suitable for Myth?
> Thanks!

I use a Harmony 880 remote.  Not sure what the capabilities of the 700
are, but the 880 is a great setup for a myth system.  One button press
macros to turn on your tv, receiver, etc and put them all on the
correct input.  It has enough buttons to pretty much accomplish every
task you want and you can add custom buttons to the LCD screen.  The
only issues I have with it are the volume buttons stopped working (so
I needed to add those to the LCD screen) and just this week, the
contacts on the back went to crud and now I can't charge it at all.
There were always problems charging because the remote would not lock
into the charging cradle, so I would have to weight the remote down to
charge it.  In fact, I just ordered a new one this week for under $100
but after shipping and taxes, about $125.

Had I seen the deal you just mentioned, I would have considered saving
a bit to go with a 700, but I also want to just plug this into my
computer and not have to deal with the programming again.

FYI, if you do get it, I think you need a windows computer to program
it.  You may be able to use a Mac, but I have heard it can't be done
with a linux box.