[mythtv-users] Zotac D510 ION barebones on Newegg 2010-10-21

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:41:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, October 21, 2010 07:16:10 am Steven Adeff wrote:
>> One of todays "Shell Shockers" (I love their play on words promotions)
>> Available from 10:00AM - 12:59PM PT 10/21/10
>>
>> Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11-U Intel Atom D510 NM10 Chipset 1 x 200Pin Next-Gen
>> NVIDIA ION GPU Mini / Booksize Barebone System
>> $169.99 After $30 MIR
>>
>> I use the Atom 330 model in my bedroom as a mythfrontend running
>> Mythbuntu and it works GREAT (even plays recordings from my newly set
>> up HDPVR without hiccup). It supports both audio over HDMI and it has
>> an SPDIF output, plus wireless built-in.
>>
>> here's a link to the product:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173005&Tpk=zotac%2
>> 0zbox%20hd-id11-u
>>
>> and here's a link to the deal for when it becomes active:
>> http://e.newegg.com/servlet/cc6?gLmkQWWDQCSVklLNLQHKLMMxnuHptQJhuVaVUWVXLX
>>
>> all you need is some cheap RAM and a SATA laptop drive or SSD.
>
> Or you could netboot it.

yes, that is another option I should have thought of!

> BTW, that second link was for a Samsung SSD.

it's a link to their shell shocker page, which at current is that
Samsung SSD, but at 10AM PST it will be this Zotac box (which is why I
linked the box product page directly as well)

> $169 is in fact a great price, though I have heard stories of major problems getting MIRs from NewEgg. Usually I just stay
> away from any MIR deal, and stick with vendors who don't engage in that sort of crappy marketing.

I've done a few of Neweggs MIR's and never had a problem. Some
manufacturer rebates though... (like Asus who refused to accept the
rebate I sent in and then said I needed to resend it, including the
UPC code, which I already mailed them and so thus could not send it
again. ARRGGGHHH)

> But for that price...
>
> Several people seem to think it's overly loud, though someone says the latest BIOS fixes that.

My Zotax ZBOX 330 has a fan but it's very quiet, you have to be within
~5ft of it to notice there is a fan and a few inches to really hear
it.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!