[mythtv-users] Cheap Remote and blaster

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 06:44:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM, John Haywood <john at jhit.com.au> wrote:

> --
> This message written on an iPhone at a bus stop or train station. Please excuse brevity and/or typos
>
> On 21/10/2010, at 3:10 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

>>> The remote looks a little different from the one I bought (which works), the transceiver unit looks similar, but it's hard
>>> to tell without seeing all sides.
>>>
>>> The HP number is also different, and the word "Vista" and "2005" would indicate it's not the original, the original ones
>>> were for use with XP MCE.
>>>
>>> Jarod would know much better than I would, but I'd guess it's not the original, and may be what I have with a different
>>> remote. HP may have used several different types of remotes, that's pretty common.
>>
>> The first-gen one I've got says:
>>
>> HP P/N: 5187-2503
>>
>>> So I'd say there is no guarantee it will work for you, but there's a pretty good chance it would, or could be made to work
>>> with minor adjustments.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> --
>> Jarod Wilson
>> jarod at wilsonet.com
>
> Encouraging news - we'll soon find out as I've ordered one. For 18 buckies, best offer, I'll be test bunny!
>
> I already have a question, though :) There is a remote, a usb receiver and an ir emitter. What does an ir emitter do and where does it plug in?

controls another device like a STB. Usually plugs into the usb
receiver and has a little IR transmitter that you put in front of the
device you want to control. Computer (using lirc) sends commands to
the STB to, eg, change channel.

Possibilities are as endless as the variety of devices controllable by
IR remotes. Aircon/heat pumps another good example.