[mythtv-users] More Cheap Remotes

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 21 01:31:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 18:08 -0700, blake wrote:
> Speaking of cheap remotes, I bought this one:
>

> http://www.buy.com/prod/mce-remote-control-black-mouse-emulating-capability-with-backlight-49/q/loc/101/216431214.html
>

> Less because it was cheap and more because it was backlit. It says
> it's an MCE remote aaand well it almost works. Well, no, it works for
> changing channel and adjusting volume. I have to use the power button
> for what I'd normally use "stop" for (going up a level or stopping a
> playback or whatever).
>

> Directly across from the power button is the standby button, which
> also works, but only one way--putting the machine to sleep. Those are
> the only buttons that work with Mythbuntu's MCE remote setting.
>

> I know all this stuff can be programmed, but I'm not sure how. Am I
> down to tweaking cfg files? Is there an app for building the files.
> (If not, should there be?)
>

> ===Blake===

I think you will find that a lot of the buttons already work but are not
assigned to a key press in mythtv.

Open a terminal and type "irw" and hit enter. Then press all the buttons
on the remote and see what you get in the terminal.
If you look at the files in /home/user/.lirc/ you can see which of the
buttons you saw in "irw" are mapped to keystrokes for different
applications. If some of the buttons are missing from the file you can
add them and assign them keys (I think you need to restart lirc before
you try to use those buttons or maybe you just have to restart
mythfrontend).
The next thing you can do is install the "MythControls" package to edit
the keybindings. Go into the edit keys window select a control you want
to bind to a button and then press the button on the remote. You should
get a keystroke assigned and then when you click ok it will lock in that
setting or tell you if there is a conflict with another control. Then
you exit and save the settings and your system will respond to the
button you set up.

I have played with a few generic MCE remotes and should have an LIRC
file somewhere along with a picture showing what keys are mapped to each
button. If you'd like me to send it to you let me know and I'll hunt it
down for you.

Glen