[mythtv-users] v4l Drivers

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:16:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> This means your audio output is set incorrectly under
>> setup->general->3rd page on the frontend.  I cannot remember what card
>> you are trying to get to work - audio over hdmi (gt220), or something
>> else.  In your desktop environment, what sound output is it using?
>
> The Audio output device section is set to ALSA:default. Heck of a lot of choices in there :). Guessing it's safe to just try some if I can't find the one I'm looking for specifically.
>
> The mainboard has an audio card built in which I'd like to disable.
> The output I'd like to use is a USB to 5.1 adapter that's always worked nicely for me on another machine.
> I'm just not sure which device I'm looking for since it has inputs and multiple outputs including optical and analog front and rear for example. All I want right now is to use the Front Output which I don't see in the list below or in the Audio System settings drop down.

aplay -l will show you what devices you have that alsa is recognizing.
 aplay -L will give you a more deined view I think (not in front of my
setup), and you should be able to make an educated decision.  The list
of entries that show up in that menu *are not* necessarily cards in
your system.  You may have to type the entry in manually to get it to
work.