[mythtv-users] DVB - W5 (4DTV) & KU/C-Band Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 20 14:43:50 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 20, 2010 08:33:38 am mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > on W5 are encrypted. Motorola is the company who owns the Digicipher2
> > encryption technology. Motorola will not allow any device other than
> > their satellite receiver to decrypt DigiCipher2 encrypted content.
> > Your only option is to use the Motorola receiver. If you want to
> > record TV shows you will need to connect the composite video and audio
>
> Thanks for the input and yes, this is the conclusion based on the thread
> input. I hoped there might be a more modern device that would work with
> this service. Figured once set up, I would just call in and have my device
> activated by my provider but now I understand better since I have the
> whole picture. It's too bad because I don't see how W5 can survive other
> than what ever small number of rural business they have. I could have
> talked people into putting up 6' dishes but the killer is always that old
> receiver.
>
> Oh well... IP TV is just around the corner so the only dish folks will need
> soon is for Internet maybe.

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in the US the available satellite internet "solutions" are pretty much
useless for IPTV. Severe bandwidth caps, limited speeds and high prices mean it's only a viable option for people with no
other option.

7.5GB download and 2.5GB upload at 512kb/128kb is a pretty much useless limitation. One or two evenings watching Netflix
and you're done.