[mythtv-users] BBC One HD to start in test at least on 3rd November.

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Oct 20 14:39:02 UTC 2010

On 20 Oct 2010, at 16:25, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Robert Longbottom wrote:
>
>> It's always seemed odd to me how much fuss people make about needing multiple disks. Sure it will be better, but I don't see it as necessary, not from my experience anyway. I do an auto lossless transcode on all my recordings, but I don't do comflagging so maybe that makes a difference.
>
> It's one of those "it depends" things. So many factors affect performance that what works for one may not work for others.
> I run an entire system off one disk - and that's a Xen host and several guests, one of which is running Myth. It can record two freeview channels with multirec fine, and I can watch something while they are recording. Playback breaks up if it's recording two channels AND commflagging while I watch something. Also, if something else on the machine kicks off (such as sending/receiving a large email), that can affect things as well.
>
> And on top of that, things can change over time. As the disk gets fuller, and free space starts fragmenting, disks seeks will start to increase when recording. At some point, the disk just won't quite keep up.

I certainly can't record two HD channels to my system disk, some upgrades ago I messed up recording directories and by mistake recordings were going to the system disk for an hour or two, none of the recordings were watchable. I found the problem when I realised my disks don't normally make quite that much noise during a recording!

The system disks are xfs on lvm on raid 1 so maybe that is a factor too, they are 2ish year old 1TB sata disks though.

A slave BE I had was able to record a couple of HD streams to it's system disk but that's easier as the database is on the master BE.

So yes, it depends, :-)