[mythtv-users] BBC One HD to start in test at least on 3rd November.

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 14:25:08 UTC 2010

Robert Longbottom wrote:

>It's always seemed odd to me how much fuss people make about needing
>multiple disks. Sure it will be better, but I don't see it as
>necessary, not from my experience anyway. I do an auto lossless
>transcode on all my recordings, but I don't do comflagging so maybe
>that makes a difference.

It's one of those "it depends" things. So many factors affect
performance that what works for one may not work for others.
I run an entire system off one disk - and that's a Xen host and
several guests, one of which is running Myth. It can record two
freeview channels with multirec fine, and I can watch something while
they are recording. Playback breaks up if it's recording two channels
AND commflagging while I watch something. Also, if something else on
the machine kicks off (such as sending/receiving a large email), that
can affect things as well.

And on top of that, things can change over time. As the disk gets
fuller, and free space starts fragmenting, disks seeks will start to
increase when recording. At some point, the disk just won't quite
keep up.

--
Simon Hobson