[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR MythTV setup

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Oct 19 13:20:51 UTC 2010

Jeff Cranmer wrote:

> Yep.  /bin/true is in the channel change script entry in mythtv-setup.
> That's what is confusing me about this, as I too would have thought that
> the TV would display even without the channel changer setup.

Channel changing scripts are *only* required when you have an external tuner.
When the tuner myth uses is plugged into a slot or is a USB device (thus
directly accessable to the operating system), myth can tune it directly so
doesn't need a script.

The presence of a script in that field tells myth it can't tune directly, so
passes info via parameters to the script so that it can be handled elsewhere.

If the script returns 'true' then myth knows that the tuning was successful and
continues.

--

Mike Perkins