[mythtv-users] need suggestions for remote for frontend

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 13:10:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Ryan Duffy <dusteur at excite.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a dedicated frontend running on a Revo 3610.
>
> I have a remote which came with my Hauppauge TD500 which I used to use, but
> the sensor for the remote plugs into the TV card, and as I have separated my
> frontend onto the Revo I can no longer use this.
>
> I took the advice of buying an MCE remote which most people say will work,
> but alas the one I got has most of its buttons not working (I only have
> volume, numbers and a few others working but I need to be able to use all
> the buttons). irw shows nothing for the buttons that don't work, so it seems
> that this remote really isn't currently supported. I think I got unlucky and
> got a remote which happens to have some unusual hardware in it which happens
> to not be supported (yet?). I tried ubuntu 10.10 but still no luck.
>
> I don't have the time to be messing around trying to hack stuff around to
> make it work, so I'd rather just buy a new one that is known to work.
>
> I'd be happy to re-use my old hauppauge remote if someone can tell me what
> USB IR receiver I'd need, otherwise I just need a whole new remote (which
> presumably needs to have some sort of dedicated USB receiver to go with it).
>
> Can someone point me to one that will definitely work and has enough
> buttons to keep me happy with myth? I live in the UK, so I need one that is
> available to buy here.
>
> Thanks very much.

What I did is buy an IR keyboard and a learning JP1 remote.  Using a JP1
cable, I was able to program the remote to send the keyboard signals.  No
LIRC.  The remote sends actual keypresses to the box via the USB IR
receiver.  Bonus: You can still pull out the keyboard for remote use.

Slightly outdated (although still relevant) instructions :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Programming_Remotes_as_Keyboards

Might be harder to find a keyboard with a JP1 keymap but if you do, update
the page.  It's a great configuration for Myth and once you get the idea
about programming the remote, you can easily get it to manage all your AV
devices from one remote

Kevin