[mythtv-users] VGA verses HDMI

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 12:17:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:46, Justin The Cynical
<cynical at penguinness.org> wrote:
> On 10/18/10 2:03 PM, aaron wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
>> Although since I reinstalled the system last November (to upgrade the
>> OS) I have had to resort to using the PS3 for some things; I
>> recompiled my kernel and the recompiled kernel refuses to see the DVD
>> drive. It also insists that my IDE drives are SATA/SCSI (everything is
>> /dev/sdX instead of /dev/hdX). It's strange. As far as I can tell all
>> the necessary drivers are enabled. But anyway...
>
> Off topic, but this normal for recent kernels.  The IDE subsystem was
> rolled into the SATA/SCSI layer, so all drives, AFAIK, will be
> represented as SD vs HD.
>
> Just an FYI.

Ah, interesting. I only just moved from the 2.4 kernels, so things are
quite different :)

The part that got me really confused was that the stock Slackware 13.0
kernel *did* have /dev/hdX devices. When I recompiled (from the same
sources, just trying to improve the configuration) that's when
everything switched to /dev/sdX ... and made it rather difficult to
boot, since lilo and fstab were referencing the hdX devices :)

But yes, this is certainly off-topic.

aaron