[mythtv-users] need suggestions for remote for frontend

Ryan Duffy dusteur at excite.com
Tue Oct 19 11:40:52 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've got a dedicated frontend running on a Revo 3610.

I have a remote which came with my Hauppauge TD500 which I used to use, but the sensor for the remote plugs into the TV card, and as I have separated my frontend onto the Revo I can no longer use this.

I took the advice of buying an MCE remote which most people say will work, but alas the one I got has most of its buttons not working (I only have volume, numbers and a few others working but I need to be able to use all the buttons). irw shows nothing for the buttons that don't work, so it seems that this remote really isn't currently supported. I think I got unlucky and got a remote which happens to have some unusual hardware in it which happens to not be supported (yet?). I tried ubuntu 10.10 but still no luck.

I don't have the time to be messing around trying to hack stuff around to make it work, so I'd rather just buy a new one that is known to work.

I'd be happy to re-use my old hauppauge remote if someone can tell me what USB IR receiver I'd need, otherwise I just need a whole new remote (which presumably needs to have some sort of dedicated USB receiver to go with it).

Can someone point me to one that will definitely work and has enough buttons to keep me happy with myth? I live in the UK, so I need one that is available to buy here.

Thanks very much.