[mythtv-users] VGA verses HDMI

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 21:03:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 16:20, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:

> 3. This is the important one. Motion smoothing works with HDMI and is
> disabled with VGA. Both are 60Hz inputs, but when I use VGA the TV disables
> motion smoothing but with HDMI it's active and makes a difference especially
> when wide shots pan.

I have an older Samsung, a 4069F. I rather like the "120Hz" feature...
when it works. But I was disappointed to find that it is disabled on
the VGA input, which is how I have my box connected (my 440MX doesn't
have HDMI output). Since Myth is almost the only thing I use on the TV
it kind of makes for a wasted feature.

I was hoping that maybe newer models might apply the smoothing to the
VGA port as well, but I guess not... I suppose "they" probably want to
get rid of VGA anyway... :)

Although since I reinstalled the system last November (to upgrade the
OS) I have had to resort to using the PS3 for some things; I
recompiled my kernel and the recompiled kernel refuses to see the DVD
drive. It also insists that my IDE drives are SATA/SCSI (everything is
/dev/sdX instead of /dev/hdX). It's strange. As far as I can tell all
the necessary drivers are enabled. But anyway...

aaron