[mythtv-users] DVB - W5 (4DTV) & KU/C-Band Question

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 20:11:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> Any subscription satellite service is going to be encrypted.  It's a
>> broadcast system.  Were it not encrypted, there would be no way to
>> control access, and thus no way to charge for it, aside from some
>> government mandated fee (BBC).
>
> Right and based on this model, I have been hoping to find a DVB card which DOES work with the W5 service.
>

> Sounds like there isn't either way sadly so the only option will be capturing.

Well either option involves capturing the stream. A free to air stream
is captured digitally off the satellite.

Your only option appears to be to use their Set Top Box (STB) and
capture from the analogue outputs of the STB via either an SD or HD
analogue capture device. That means you also have to find a method to
change the STB channels. You can do that via an IR blaster, or some
STB's can be controlled over a firewire connection.

Of course on other forums you might find a way to use some form of
dcma-dodgy method of decrypting the satellite feed, and you may feel
morally justified in doing so, given that you are a paid subscriber.
But the dcma-dodginess makes it a no go area here :)