[mythtv-users] FCC releases CableCard changes

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Oct 18 16:19:07 UTC 2010

On 10/18/2010 11:04 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Those locally-inserted ads on cable seem to be the easiest for Myth to identify as commercials, brutal, abrupt sometimes
> not even synchronous transitions and large differences in both APL and loudness, pretty easy to spot.

I worked at a local CATV company about 20yrs ago.

I remember how much our CATV tries to keep the levels consistent with a knob -- the problem was, the knobs, er, Interns were running around recording local content on cameras that were set all over the place.

OR the source (pick and upstream provider) wasn't consistent in their knobs either.

Funny how compressor/limiters still seem to be a nebulous concept for the engineer trying to control the source->customer equation.

And now with things being digital, you'd think it could be in the stream someplace as a simple matter of programming.
Heck, there's an AGC someone wrote as an accessory for my Empeg car player. CONCEPT!

-Ben