[mythtv-users] DVB - W5 (4DTV) & KU/C-Band Question

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Oct 18 15:31:56 UTC 2010

mike at grounded.net wrote:
>>  There are very many people using DVB-S to get digital TV into their
>>  mythtv boxes, but:
>>
>>  1. everything is fine if it is unencrypted, like freeview in NZ; but
>
> So you mean FTA only works just fine.

Not always, actually. In the UK, for Freesat, it is necessary to buy a Sky box
(or acceptable substitute) and get a decoder card for a one-off fee before being
able to view certain channels - even though they are not subscription channels
and not provided by Sky. I might add that these same channels are available
unencrypted for those of us who can use DVB-T rather than satellite.

--

Mike Perkins