[mythtv-users] DVB - W5 (4DTV) & KU/C-Band Question

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Mon Oct 18 14:54:08 UTC 2010

> There are very many people using DVB-S to get digital TV into their
> mythtv boxes, but:
>
> 1. everything is fine if it is unencrypted, like freeview in NZ; but

So you mean FTA only works just fine.

> 2. you will not get any help in breaking encryption in this mailing
> list, see the many previous threads; and

How in the WORLD do you get my wanting to break ANYTHING from my question???
My god, I said I am a CUSTOMER, my provider is skyvision, the programming comes from the programming-center, they say there is no card which can do this, I hate using an old, used, motorola receiver so thought I'd ask here in case they are not aware of some other means.
My god, why do people always assume illegal when someone is just plain asking something?

> 3. there are some countries/markets where it is perfectly acceptable
> to the broadcaster to use their decryption card in other hardware,
> enabling the use of  those smartcards in the appropriate hardware; but

What card? The receiver doesn't have a card that I know of. At least the Skyvision tech who installed the whole thing for me never mentioned one. I've never looked in the slot. The bottom line is that their setup uses an old receiver and I want something more modern, especially in terms of clarity by having it directly on a myth box.

> 4. the use of softcams and similar technologies in any market is a
> verbotten discussion.

What the hell is a softcam, I never even mentioned that.

Come on, give a guy a break once in a while uh. Just trying to learn this stuff.