[mythtv-users] Change Audio output from line out to hdmi

David Lasker dave at altosdesign.com
Sun Oct 17 23:16:28 UTC 2010

On Oct 17, 2010, 6:10 AM, Amol Deshpande wrote:
> Audio Output Device - ALSA:hdmi
> Speaker configuration - 5.1

I ran into the same problem when I set up my Mythbuntu 10.04/0.23 system.
For some reason I was never able to figure out, Audio Output Device
ALSA:hdmi did not work. I was able to get audio over HDMI to work by using:

ALSA:plughw:x,y where the correct values of x and y are found from running

aplay -l

plughw did not appear as one of the preset values for Audio Output Device; I
had to backspace and type it in manually.

My TV wouldn't support 5.1 sound input via HDMI, so I also needed to set
Speaker Configuration to "Stereo" in order for audio over HDMI to work.

Hope that helps...

Dave