[mythtv-users] Two tuner sticks unstable together - need help

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 16:57:15 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 09:54 +0200, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> You can put it at: http://pastebin.ca/upload.php and post

Hi Sven;

I looked over the log you pasted.  A busy 2 seconds, to be sure.
Assuming that this was still with -v all.

Past posts discussed /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 (and adapter1),
but the one referenced in the pastbin is /dev/dvb/adapter101/frontend0.
It looks like work done with udev rules, which is fine, however I'd
expect the same paths in mythtv-setup.

There appeared to be some EIT activity that was duplicated.  You might
try shutting EIT scanning off on the cards and channels temporarily.
Then turn it back on one (if required.)

If the lines starting at 195 continue to repeat at failure time, I'd
lean toward a database problem.  While I'd hate to drop a database,
Greg's backup/recreate suggestion seems perfectly reasonable.

> But after one or two hours the second stops
> getting a lock and never gets one again.

Looks like you got the same Google hits I did and ordered a new
Hauppauge card. I would have expected the AverMedia to fail after
two hours when you were testing it without the Hauppauge card.

> Deleting all sources and setting them up freshly from scratch helps, but
> only for another one or two hours.

If you haven't already, check /var/log/syslog for card related errors.

For more detail:

If you do: lspci -v, and look for the offending card, you'll see a
'Kernel driver in use' line.  With MythTV stopped, I've done

  sudo rmmod <your-driver-name>
  sudo modprobe <your-driver-name> debug=1

Restart MythTV and then look in /var/log/syslog for errors, just to
prove that the problem is card/driver related (rather than database.)

> I have the impression that some CRONJOB or something similar might be
> the cause. Is it possible that some automatic script mixes up the
> database?

I've never had such a problem on my machine. To prove it, you
could do: sudo stop cron, just for peace of mind.

I'll continue to watch this thread, but fear that I'm adding little
science now and too much opinion.

Good luck,

Bill Meek