[mythtv-users] How to configure quick tune for one channel

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 17 05:53:55 UTC 2010

  On 10/16/2010 09:10 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/16/2010 19:59, Jay Foster wrote:
>> I have two different channels (ch A and ch B) that carry the same
>> programming (This TV).  When I set up a recording for channel A, it
>> records channel A.  When I set up a recording for channel B, it records
>> channel A.  I think this is because the recording tuning is using the
>> call sign to tune the channel, but both channels use the same call sign.
>
> The 'quick tune' you refer to is how the selection of digital streams
> is done.  Rather than waiting for the program table to tell it where a
> stream is, it simply filters on where it should be.  If all goes well,
> you're looking at a few fractions of a second faster tune than
> normal.  This is unnecessary for scheduled recordings, and has nothing
> to do with your problem.
>
> The scheduler matches channels based on number and callsign.

Actually, just callsign.  The number only comes into play for Live TV
(it allows you to change to a specific channel) and the EPG.  If the
number /and/ callsign match, the EPG will show the channel only once.

>   If those match, MythTV will assume they are the same thing, and will
> schedule as such.  That means it will use the first available tuner to
> record, which seems to use the source with 'channel A'.  If the
> channels are not actually the same, name them something different.  If
> one is higher quality, either re-order your capture cards so it is
> first, or mark the lesser quality channel as hidden.

Or give them different callsigns if you want to be able to control which
channel is used for scheduling.  The callsign is a user-editable value
whose sole purpose is to identify channels to be considered by "this
channel" rules--its value is irrelevant.

Mike