[mythtv-users] Swapping PCI cards kills X

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 02:34:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
> I have no doubt that it was but it didn't answer my question in terms of the card being able to feed the audio section via system bus.
> Some cards need to be cabled but some cards have the audio on the bus so just sends it directly to the sound card. Well, then again, I believe that's how some of the cards I've owned have worked.

HUH?

I think you need to read some documentation again...  The HVR-1600
records to MPEG-2 streams from analog, and captures MPEG-2 streams
from digital...  These streams contain both video and audio.  This is
the same as the PVR-500.  These cards do not present themselves as
sound input cards, and do not take sound from your sound card.  Going
over the system bus is an MPEG-2 stream, which then gets written to
your disk.  When you play this file back, the video goes out your
video card, and the sound goes out your sound card (typically).  The
HVR-1600 has no need to send anything to your soundcard over the bus
or over cables.  It is not an old cheap framegrabber.

Honestly, some research before buying equipment goes a long way :)