[mythtv-users] Swapping PCI cards kills X

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Fri Oct 15 22:43:08 UTC 2010

Just an update to close this thread on a better note :).

Rebuilt the system without any graphics drivers and used the default to start with.

This time, now that I know about the problem with running nvidia and the hvr-1600, I put vmalloc=256M into my grub.conf upon building the system. Of course, because of this, X worked right out of the box.

All of the hardware was being seen properly so I fired up the backend setup, got my card and all of the other settings done.

I installed make tools along with kernel source, got the proprietary nvidia drivers from their site, dropped into init 3 level,
installed those and rebooted.

I didn't see the nvidia logo so thought it was because I forgot to run nvidia-xconfig, did, rebooted again, still no logo.

TV viewing is available on the front end but it is smaller than the TV screen which I wanted to fix using
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Overscan.

I have now learned that the nvidia-settings will not run when in a vnc remote session or from ssh, it must be at the console. Since I have my video card output into a scan converter, I went to that display, and was able to use nvidia-settings and everything came up.

A weird thing is that the tool runs in a window that doesn't allow it to fully show all of the settings. It says that it cannot display all of the settings because the window is smaller than 600.

I don't see any settings for TV output which makes me wonder if the driver is fully working or not yet.
So, things are working, just that I need to figure out why TV is too small, why there's no audio, though I've done nothing what so ever in terms of audio settings yet other than muting line in and some other things suggested in the wiki. Need to find more info on that. I don't want to use the nvidia card for output, I'll try using a USB to 5.1 output device that's always worked well for me in the past.