[mythtv-users] Report: Watch out! UB435-Q V2 is NOT the same as UB435-Q

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Oct 15 21:28:43 UTC 2010

I too have patched my Ubuntu 10.10 (kernel 2.6.35.4), and I get the same
"em28xx" messages Steven Willoughby gets.

Does this mean the driver module is loading properly, or not?

I've tried "w_scan --c US" but it says it can't find a usable DVB card:
Info: using DVB adapter auto detection.
main:2930: FATAL: ***** NO USEABLE DVB CARD FOUND. *****
Please check wether dvb driver is loaded and
verify that no dvb application (i.e. vdr) is running.

Do I need another step to load the driver, or is this still a driver
initialization problem?

Thanks!  I'd really like to help get this USB adapter working so I can cut
my cable connection once and for all!

DanL

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 23:10, Steven Willoughby <mythtv at thesteve.org>wrote:

> Hello Mr. Wilson,
>
>    Sorry for breaking the thread, I am new to the list as I just received
> my V2 today.
>
>    I have applied your patch [1] against the v4l-dvb source tree [2] but it
> doesn't seem to work.  I get the following in dmesg:
>
>  em28xx video device (1b80:e346): interface 0, class 255 found.
>  em28xx This is an anciliary interface not used by the driver
>  usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
>  em28xx driver loaded
>
>    It is quite possible that I am not testing it right.  I'm new to mythtv.
>  I have tried using mplayer and tvtime but there isn't a /dev/video* device.
>
>    Is there something else I should be doing to test?  I am also willing to
> open my device if that will help, it was only $30.  :)
>
> Steven
>
> [1]: http://wilsonet.com/jarod/kworld-hacking/kworld-ub435-q-v2.patch
>
> [2]: hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb; make; make install

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)