[mythtv-users] FCC releases CableCard changes

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 15 20:15:37 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 15, 2010 02:08:19 pm Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> >> Not in my case.
> >
> > Really? What planet do you live on? I might like to move there.
> >
> > You only need a CableCard for encrypted content, I can't imagine anything
> > labeled as "copy freely" that the cable companies would bother
> > encrypting. They might just as well put it out as clear QAM.
>
> Believe it or not, I'm on Comcast.  I have the majority of my channels
> marked "Copy Freely" out of my cable box - I'm using the Firewire
> output to record them.

Wow. I'd guess that is a "mistake" on their part, not intentional.

Of course it *should* be the way you have it, anything you have paid to watch you should be able to record and watch
later, I thought that was the whole point of the Betamax decision.

I could understand if PPV or On-Demand viewing of "Premium Content" (meaning movies still in theaters or within a short
window after that) was not available for copying, but anything beyond that is just greed.

If you have a change of status in the next few days we will know for certain that they are monitoring this list.