[mythtv-users] PXE booting a mythdora install

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Oct 14 15:09:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Jack Lockard <jacklockard at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Brent Norris <brent at brentnorris.net>wrote:
>
>> That being said, everything else has worked "out of the box" for me PXE
>> booting minimyth on my Zotac ion.
>

> I would love to hear if anyone has a complete PXE solution.  I struggled
> for a few weekends to finally get PXE booting working with mythbuntu 9.10,
> only to have many things break on the first upgrade.

I've got it working. I'm using the older stuff from Mythbuntu based on LTSP.
You use debbootstrap IIRC to create the base image, then set up the DHCP to
point clients to your server and run the tftp stuff on the server. When a
client boots it grabs the kernel and initrd from the tftp server then mounts
the base image over nbd and an overlay using NFS. The base image is
read-only and compressed via squashfs, all writes go to the NFS directory
created per client machine. I upgrade by chrooting into the client image,
run aptitude update; aptitude upgrade, then exit and run ltsp-update-image.
The clients need to be rebooted after this. There is also
ltsp-update-kernels in you need to update a kernel for the clients. Upgrades
haven't caused any significant problems.

There used to be documentation on the Ubuntu wiki for setting up the
PXE/LTSP stuff. I don't know if it's still there. It was based on Hardy
IIRC, but it works fine on the newer versions.