[mythtv-users] Bindings not upgrading

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 02:28:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:15, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:14, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> and I can confirm that both my Perl and Python bindings are working
>> again. Thanks, Mike!
>
> Oops, and thanks, Gavin! :)

Well, apparently I suck. I must have broken something again because my
Perl bindings aren't working again.

*thinking*

Okay, I had a bunch of stuff written, but then I realized that I think
I know the problem... just not how to fix it.

I recently came up with (what I thought was) a brilliant idea to
address the fact that it takes an hour to compile myth on my box, as
long as nothing else is running: create a VM on my laptop with the
same versions of everything and compile there, then make it into a
Slackware package and install on the real box.

So far it's working great... compiling "mythtv" and "mythplugins",
making the package, and transferring it to the myth box takes about 30
minutes, instead of 60 minutes just to compile "mythtv" :)

But, then I found that the Perl bindings stopped working again. The
Python bindings seem to work, though.

And I think I know the problem. My build script does, essentially, this:

$ make distclean
$ svn update
$ ./configure --previous
$ make
$ make install INSTALLDIRS=vendor INSTALL_ROOT="/tmp/mythtv-package"

which means it installs under /tmp/mythtv-package/usr/local/....

But after installing the Perl directory has only the "site_perl" directory:

/tmp/package-mythtv/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

If I do a "proper" install it seems I get a /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
directory as well.

Both site_perl and vendor_perl exist in my "perl -V" output, so I
would have thought that I should be fine, but it isn't working.

I built the same trunk revision directly on my myth box and the Perl
bindings worked after "make install", so I'm pretty sure it's related
to the "alternate install path".

Any suggestions? Or other information that would be helpful?

Thanks!
aaron