[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:34:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact, there was a discussion today about increasing our formal
> hardware requirements considerably to prevent hamstringing ourselfs
> with some of the UI and features we have planned.  Myth's hardware
> requirements are likely to increase in a non-trivial way going
> forward.
>
> Robert

Would you mind elaborating on this just a bit (as to what end-users
can expect in terms of future-proofing)?

I recently just upgraded my system.  I decided to go with a Sempron
140 chip because that is low wattage and I knew it would still be an
upgrade over my old system of an Athlon XP 3100+.  I also put in a
GeForce 220 with a gig of ram to take care of playback (VDAPUA all the
way) and 4 gigs of ram because I really could not get anything less
with DDR3 that would have been much cheaper.

What I want to know is whether I will start seeing limitations based
on this design choice.  I know these chips are pretty easy to
overclock and unlock the second core.  I can also just get a screaming
fast chip for the system if the need arises.  But my objective was
partly for power savings; however, I don't care as much about that as
I do about being able to have a future-proofed system.