[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 22:44:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Mark Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>> >  With 0.23 I'm getting much higher CPU usage when recording (avg 30-40%
>> >  on my P3 900Mhz, previously about 10-20% on 0.21).
>> >  This means I can't do "chase play" which I used to be able to do.
>>
>> so, you said that your 2000/2001-vintage hardware is having problems
>> running modern MythTV.  Therefore, don't run modern MythTV (or upgrade
>> your hardware).
>>
>> Some of us don't like the idea of constraining modern MythTV to only the
>> basic tasks that can be accomplished with 10-yr old hardware.
>>
>> Some of us want MythTV to do more than it did in 0.21.
>>
>> Some of us want progress.
>>
>> Those of you who want your grandfather's MythTV--unhampered by
>> progress--can get exactly that by running your grandfather's version of
>> MythTV.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Some of us also want to run mythtv on new low power boxes that are coming out
> these days.  My own MBE is an ARM based NAS with only 512 MB of RAM.  If myth
> could be tuned to run better on old machines, it would also run better on new
> boxes that only draw a small amount of power.
>
> Mark

The original reporter's hardware was manufactured before the first
public release of MythTV.  My tongue in cheek answer was meant to
explain that given my informal knowledge of myself and the rest of the
devs, function and features trump making Myth work with decade-old
hardware or plug systems.  I just don't see any point in the future
where making Myth run acceptably on a sheevaplug, or a P3/900 is even
remotely a priority.

In fact, there was a discussion today about increasing our formal
hardware requirements considerably to prevent hamstringing ourselfs
with some of the UI and features we have planned.  Myth's hardware
requirements are likely to increase in a non-trivial way going
forward.

Robert