[mythtv-users] PXE booting a mythdora install

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Wed Oct 13 21:21:51 UTC 2010

On 10/13/2010 10:44 AM, Roy Lofthouse wrote:
> curious as to what it is you don't like, I've used it for quite a few
> years and find it great (recently converted to PXE from CF as well).

I have used it now for about a year and there are some things that are
great with it.  This isn't really a beatdown on minimyth or anything.

One of the things I don't like about it though is that it is all
dependent (unless I really want to learn minimyth) on the author to get
packages out.  Right now my fedora backend wants to upgrade to 23.1 and
when I used to just run fedora on my frontends they would want to as
well.  Now I have to wait for a minimyth package and then set it up,
which always seems to require a couple hours worth of work, because
something is different between this version and the previous version.

Also there are some things that won't work on it, like the new
mythstream (it isn't mythstream, but I can't think of the right name).

Also I have a machine that won't work with minimyth for some reason.  If
I boot it up with no xorg.conf it always goes to 800x600, but if I put
the xorg.conf that is on the box currently into its config and have it
run, then the machine hangs on a black screen every time.  I was hoping
that mythdora wouldn't have this issue and that therefore I could then
standardize all of my frontends on it since right now that machine is on
like Fedora 11 and I would like to avoid upgrading it as it is, because
it is using a USB key for a hard drive and it is painful to upgrade.

Brent