[mythtv-users] backend deadlocked: MythSocket(9ba1fc0:11): readStringList: Error, timed out after 7000 ms.

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:45:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> While watching a recording on a frontend last night the playback stopped
> mid-stream and finally timed out back to the recordings menu where it
> simply failed to populate.  Clearly failure to communicate with the
> backend.

<snip>
> Ideas, while I go restart my backend process?
>
> b.

I have been battling lots of these lately as well. My problems started
when I added a SBE and a HD-PVR. I started to get lots of those
errors. Since then I have upgraded to 0.24 trunk and continue to have
problems. In fact I had one last night that I am going to submit a bug
report for.

You could try replacing your packages with the debug builds and
generating backtraces when the MBE locks up. I don't know what
performance drop you may see with the debug builds or if you even are
in a position to try running the debug builds. My MBE is way
overpowered and in the last couple of days I have had no problems with
the debug builds, but YMMV.

Also see Mike Dean's response to me regarding how to get a backtrace:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/455535.
Unfortunately, my system locked up just as Parenthood started
recording last night and I did not notice until ~30 minutes later.
That is one of my wife's favorite shows. WAF--

Cheers,
James