[mythtv-users] mythfrontend and Gnome or mythfrontend sans window manager with firefox?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:06:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>  On 10/10/2010 02:36 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 13:24 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>>
>>> you still want some form of window manager to handle
>>> the Z level
>>
>> What is "Z level"?
>
> Stacking
>
>>> and focus.
>>
>> IMHO, this is a common misconception.  I know I will get an argument
>> about this but I have run Myth for many (i.e. since about 0.18 or 0.19)
>> years without ever using a window manager and have never had a problem.
>> Even when I used to use mplayer as an external video player (that's how
>> long I have been using Myth).
>
> And, therefore, all swans are white.
>
> But, hey, I'm sure you're using that 300kB of RAM far more effectively than
> it would have been used for running a window manager.
>
> Mike

The big advantage is that when mythfrontend would die, or be killed,
it was easy to have it "restart" automatically. Every method I've seen
that involved a window manager made this situation more difficult to
near-impossible. plus, what good is running mplayer when we can just
complain that the internal player needs to be improved! (I kid of
course, but I've also not had to use mplayer for quite some time now
thanks to the great work of the devs)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!