[mythtv-users] Video encoding and ffmpeg

Justin Bracken scourched at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:08:31 UTC 2010

Hello all,

Recently started messing with mythexport. Was kind of cool learning
how to compile and all with me being a noob. I have been spending the
weekend transcoding video to play on an iPhone 3GS. I'm running into
some problems. One is that it seems I cannot encode with h264 and mp3
into a mp4 file or I believe an m4v file. It appears to be isolated to
the audio selection. If I change to libfaac everything runs. I have
been able to transcode wav to mp3. So i think I built ffmpeg right. I
started this venture by stealing the command line from the
mythexport.log and then reverse engineered the line to understand what
it was doing. The rub now is that for some reason libfaac is not
properly setting the bitrate and it seems like any player I choose
assumes it's 128k instead of the correct value of 192k. This appears
to cause a audio sync problem. Which took me a while to realize it
could not be fixed with itsoffset.

I'm curious if anyone can help? Either with their iPhone settings or
with the audio sync or with the file format and encoding problems.
Does it appear I'm doing something blatantly wrong?

Thanks
Scourched