[mythtv-users] N220GT nVidia Drivers

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Tue Oct 12 12:15:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 18:49 -0500, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > MythTV _will_not_work_ with the open source 'nv' drivers.  They
> simply
> > don't have any hardware acceleration.  Whether you have problems
> with
> > them is irrelevant because they're worthless for our purposes.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of this, from another thread.
> The problem is that installing the drivers isn't leading to working
> cards so far using either the fx5200 or the 220 gt.

hmm... The great majority manages to have a driver installed and
working, either for an FX5200 or for a GT220, for either Fedora or
Ubuntu.

The binary/proprietary driver provided by NVIDIA is quite well made and
well supported by the distros too. From the Ubuntu/Mythbuntu side, which
I am familiar with, I do not know Fedora, the process of getting it
operational has been made exceptionally straightforward/simple/quick.

The real value of Mythbuntu against plain Ubuntu+MythTV is the installer
and most importantly the Mythbuntu Control Center. It singularly has a
tab for graphics driver install.

http://mythbuntu.org/wiki/mythbuntu-control-centre-mcc

But with Ubuntu and its derivatives, most of the time after the initial
boot after install, with network connectivity working, you should have a
notification appearing automatically telling you about the availability
of proprietary drivers.

Could the root cause be between chair and keyboard? Oh, sorry, this is
rude.

Nico