[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Recordings Randomly Breaking

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Oct 12 05:07:25 UTC 2010

On 10/8/2010 8:38 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> On 10/7/2010 9:08 PM, Jamie Stotz wrote:
>>> I just started having problems with my HD Homerun recordings. At seemingly
>>> random times, the frontend will report that recordings are in progress. But
>>> attempting to play the recording will report that the file cannot be found.
>>> Mythweb reports a zero sized recording. Last night, trying to record House,
>>> the backend log shows:
>>
>> I had this happen to me 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to 23-1 on my Mythdora
>> 12.23 system. I was without reliable recordings for a week. Last weekend,
>> I deleted and re-added all the video sources, cards, and inputs. I also
>> used yum extender to install all the updates it wanted to.
>> I now have a system that seems to be recording reliably. Unfortunately, I
>> don't know what fixed the problem because I can't remember which order I
>> did them in.
>>
>> I was running kernel version 2.6.32.11.99.fc12.x86_64, I'm now running
>> version 2.6.32.21-168.fc12.x86_64.
>>
>> current myth version
>> # mythbackend --version
>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version : 0.23.1-2.fc12 (r25902)
>> MythTV Branch : branches/release-0-23-fixes
>> Network Protocol : 23056
>> Library API : 0.23.1.201000710-1
>> QT Version : 4.6.3
>
> Just last night I had my single HD-PVR exhibit the same behavior. So the
> problem is *not* specific to HD Homeruns. That makes me want to roll back to
> 0.23 since that was working for me. <sigh> Delete and re-add sources, cards
> and inputs? Maybe lose my carefully culled channels and dtv_multiplex? I've
> got *three* different sets of channels between my DTAs, the HD-PVR and the HD
> Homeruns. <Double Sigh>.
>
> Checking the date of the pre-update DB backup I always do, I moved to 23.1 on
> 9-21. So it's been a bit over two weeks for me too. I'm using ATrpms packages
> for CentOS 5.5:
>
> $ mythbackend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : 26569
> MythTV Branch : branches/release-0-23-fixes/mythtv/
> Network Protocol : 23056
> Library API : 0.23.1.201000710-1
> QT Version : 4.4.3
>
> So a bit later SVN version.
>
> It sounds like others are having this issue. Can anyone shed any light on
> what's causing the failed recordings?

I thought (okay, prayed) that I had this HDHR problem fixed by setting
'quicktune' to 0 in the cardinput table and restarting the backend. No such
luck. I'm still getting failed and missing recordings while live TV seems to
be flawless.

I'm frustrated that no one has any idea what changed from 0.23 to 0.23.1 and
why it's affecting HDHRs. The only concrete suggestion here has been to delete
*all* cards and inputs and start from scratch. I've got six different tuners
with three different but overlapping lineups. I've got some manual changes to
the multiplex IDs that makes it easy for me to update my setup when Comcast
whimsically moves my channels around. I don't want to have to start all over
again.

Okay, venting finished. Sorry for the rant.

My next thought is to look at the thing that separates the HDHR from DTAs or
cable boxes: the dtv_multiplex table. There's a bunch of stuff there I have no
clue about. Could I trouble someone who has their HDHR working under 0.23.1 to
post a dump of their dtv_multiplex table so I can compare.

 From the command line give the command:

    mysqldump -u mythtv -p mythconverg dtv_multiplex

If you don't want to post the whole mess, just give me the CREATE TABLE
command and a few lines of the INSERT INTO `dtv_multiplex` VALUES line.

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions.

Kirk Bocek