[mythtv-users] Xvideo Adapter

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Oct 11 19:30:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday, October 11, 2010 10:27:20 am Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 10/11/2010 11:54, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>> > Is there a way to tell the mythfrontend which Xvideo Adapter to use
>> > when the X server supports multiple ones.
>> >
>> > I know that I can I adjust which is first with xorg.conf, but would
>> > prefer to be able to select at the application level.
>>
>> Are you saying you have multiple video cards, and you want to make sure
>> mythfrontend is displayed on the correct one?  What exactly do you mean
>> when you say you have multiple Xvideo adapters?
>
> He may mean multiple X screens. You can have multiple screens with a single video card (or even no card at all), some
> "real" and some virtual. VNC, for example, will create a virtual "screen" that's different from the main (usually ":0")
> screen.
>
> The recent thread here about VNC mentioned X11VNC, which exports the main screen, instead of creating a new one, as most
> VNC servers do.
>
> Usually an application will display on the screen connected to the X session it was started from. I think the OP wants a
> way to specify, on a per application basis, which X screen the app will display on.

An application will display on the screen named in the environment
variable called DISPLAY.  If you want to run on a different display,
then export a new setting for the DISPLAY environment variable, e.g.:

export DISPLAY=localhost:1
mythfrontend

If on the other hand, Ken is referring to a multi-monitor set up,
where it's one display but several heads (either on multiple graphics
cards or multiple heads on a single card) then you need to tell
mythfrontend which head to run on using the geometry option.  This is
a standard option understood by most X applications:

  X11 geometry specifications are in the form
  (where width, height, xoffset, and yoffset are numbers) for
specifying the size and
  placement location for an object.

So something like:

mythfrontend -geometry 1280x1024+1280+0

Would put the front end on the right monitor if you have two heads
running in a left-right configuration at resolutions of 1280x1024
each.

Eric