[mythtv-users] Satix S2 Dual regular dropouts / poor signal quality?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Oct 11 17:58:01 UTC 2010

On 11 Oct 2010, at 16:56, Robert Longbottom wrote:

> On Sun, October 10, 2010 9:23 am, Andre wrote:
>> Femon doesn't seem very happy with the adaptor but this is what I see
>> during a DVBS2 recording on first tuner.
>>
>> Problem retrieving frontend information: Operation not supported
>> status SCVYL | signal  60% | snr  75% | ber 1 | unc 4328729 | FE_HAS_LOCK
>> Problem retrieving frontend information: Operation not supported
>> status SCVYL | signal  60% | snr  75% | ber 1 | unc 4328729 | FE_HAS_LOCK
>>
>> Second tuner isn't connected...
>>
>> We have an oversized dish and a well specified system (by me) in my
>> building, we never see weather related fades so I can't really comment on
>> the signal sensitivity.
>
> Interesting, it seems that you have similar signal, snr and ber to me, (if
> not slightly lower) but yet yours is working ok.  I'm guessing your unc
> numbers are being reported incorrectly because I'd have thought that many
> uncorrected errors would be a problem :-)

I'm guessing it's either cumulative or garbage, I'm seeing similar unc with the Nova S+ & HD S2 but more meaningful signal and snr.

FE: Conexant CX24123/CX24109 (DVBS)
Problem retrieving frontend information: Operation not supported
status SCVYL | signal  97% | snr  99% | ber 0 | unc 8916249 | FE_HAS_LOCK
Problem retrieving frontend information: Operation not supported
status SCVYL | signal  97% | snr  99% | ber 0 | unc 8916249 | FE_HAS_LOCK
Problem retrieving frontend information: Operation not supported
status SCVYL | signal  97% | snr  99% | ber 0 | unc 8916249 | FE_HAS_LOCK

>> I'm using the v4l-dvb backports as 2.6.32-24 doesn't have working drivers
>> for this card. I found that the prior to Devin's fixes I had both tuners
>> working but with quite a few failed recordings, these would always fail to
>> record anything from the start, haven't seen any mid recording failures.
>> After Devin's fixes I had a lot fewer problems on the first tuner but the
>> second is very unreliable.
>
> Hmm, interesting.  I'll have to have a go with the v4l-dvb latest drivers
> and see if the situation improves at all.
>
>> I also follow the linux-media list looking for any updates, really I
>> should moan at DVBShop to get something done about the driver, they sell
>> it as a Linux product. I'm sure Kernellabs would be happy to be sponsored
>> to fix the remaining problems.
>
> Yes, I should probably subscribe to linux-media as well and if I don't

You can also join in the kerfuffle if anyone dares to suggest again that things like signal, snr, unc, ber should be normalised across all cards or even just vaguely meaningful ;-)

> have any joy with the latests drivers I'll try to chase DVBShop because it
> is disappointing to spend money on a product sold as Linux supported to
> find that it's basically unusable.  I've gone back to my old cards because
> the Satix just wasn't reliable.  Hopefully I'll have some time to play
> around with the card some more later in the week.

It's an expensive card too, especially if like me you only use half of it! There were some reports on the German VDR forums that there were some bad cards out there, maybe yours is faulty.

I probably should have just bought a Tevii s470 but can't ever resist something "better", I did hear that there was a bad batch of the s470's and I have warranty replaced two Nova S+'s an a HD S2, and the S+'s have failed again since! The Satix was their replacement but they still receive the BBC HD and ITV Muxes (low band vertical) so are back in use.

Shame this card isn't there yet, it's an ideal MythTV/VDR/TVHeadend card.