[mythtv-users] Gnome Panel Myth TV status indicator

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 16:46:34 UTC 2010

On 10/09/2010 09:23 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Dan Smith <mrplowdan at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is a gnome panel application, so to run it normally, you would right click on one of your panels and select "Add to
>>> Panel..." Then select MythTV Status from the list.
>>>
>>> There is a way to run it in debug mode which is to run ./mythtvstatus.py run-in-window. This will run the program in a window
>>> and print any error messages to the terminal from which you ran the program.
>>>
>>> I'm using Ubuntu, and don't really know what is necessary to make this distribution agnostic, so if you are running a different
>>> distribution, the file locations may need to be tweaked, and the server file may need to be edited to reflect that.
>>>
>>> I have not done any cosmetic work on it yet so it is not very pretty. I thought it more important to get the functionality right
>>> first. I have a long way to go before it does everything I want though.
>>>

>> running it in a window works as well as the tool tip, but I still
>> receive the same error adding it to the gnome panel
>>

> forgot to mention I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.1

Unfortunately, I do not know what that error message means. I, of course, do not get that error. That would be too easy.

If someone could give me a clue how to debug this, I'd appreciate it.

Google is not being very helpful here. There appears to be a different problem with the same error message where panel applets
that usually load fine sometimes do not, and that is the type of discussion I find when I search for that error message.

Without a more specific error message, about all I can suggest is that you verify that mythstatus.py is in the directory that
mythstatus.server says it is. (in a terminal type "cat /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/mythstatus.server" and look at the line that says
"location=" that will tell you where mythstatus.py should be put.)