[mythtv-users] Migrating to new master backend

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Sun Oct 10 15:12:27 UTC 2010

Jan,

I am almost done with doing exactly what you are looking at.  My server
ran on 32 bit software, used parallel IDE drives, and provided server
support for MythTV, dhcp, Hylafax, Heyu/X10 home control, and probably
some others.  It was failing rapidly, so I didn't have much time to act.

I started by getting a new mobo which supported 64 bit software and
which supported both parallel and serial IDE drives.  Then I swapped in
the new mobo (only), threw away the old one, and made the quickest, most
minimal, changes I could to get the new mobo working.   There really
wasn't too much to do as most everything in specified in files on the
HD's.  Obviously there are some hardware config file tweaks to make.
The hardware swap and software "tweaking" took less than a day.  At that
point I had a system which was unlikely to have a catastrophic failure,
but was abit, as you say, "tinker-rotted."  PS:  I like that term.  Hope
you don't mind if I steal it.

Next I added a serial drive; installed a new OS (CentOS 54) on it;
installed a new MythTV -- only to the point of un-compressing it into
the directories; and installed all the other server software, etc.

I set it up in grub to dual boot.  So I normally ran in the older 32
bit/parallel drives, but when I had time, I could re-boot into 64
bit/serial drives to work on getting the new system completely set up.
As a side note, the server is downstairs in the basement while my
workstation is upstairs in the office.  So I used VNC _alot_ during this
changeover.

I found that as I was setting up the new OS and the other server
software, I built up a relatively long list of "To-Dos" for when I made
the final switchover from 32 bit/parallel to 64 bit/serial.  I suspect
you will too.

Lastly, I tackled installing MythTV.  There are two ways (I know of) to
go about this:  do all the install/set-up/tweaking-of-modules before you
copy all the old program data over, or copy all the old data over first
and then do the install/yada-yada.  I did the former and it worked out
fine.  But there are those who who are adamant that there is only one
true way to do it, data first and let MythTV update it to the newest
configuration.  I don't care much for the "you're an idiot if you don't
do it my way" attitude of the "adamant ones" but they do have a good
argument in their favor.  If you haven't already started and done alot
of MythTV set-up, then their way is probably easier.  From your note, it
sounds like you're probably better off to do that (old data copied over
first).

Should you find yourself in my situation -- too much MythTV set-up done
to be willing to throw it out -- let me know and I'll send you notes on
what worked for me.

The following list is references I found useful during the process:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:HOWTO
http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
http://tips.myhdbox.com/2006/05/tip-3-importing-downloaded-tv-shows.php

Good luck!  Let us know how you fare.

Joe Henley

PS:  I said "almost done" above ... I'm still tweaking the remote
control files.  I'm not sure I'll ever get them the way I like them.  ;-)