[mythtv-users] HDHR 0-byte recordings

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 00:01:23 UTC 2010

On 10/09/2010 04:22 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Update to current .23-fixes (revision 26178 or later), redo steps 1-6,
>>> you should find that you no longer get conflicting channels.  Then
>>> just go through in the channel editor and associate the XMLTVids with
>>> your channels as normal, renumber channels as necessary, and... done.
>>> Slightly more involved than using SCTE65 scan, but at least you will
>>> have found all of your channels.
>>>
>> Sorry, this may be a dumb question but how do you get the XMLTV ids?
>
> Run the "report" function at schedulesdirect.org on your lineup, or
> hover over them in the web channel editor and see the tooltip.
>
> Robert

Unfortunately, this is still a bit more complicated than it should be.

1) the schedules direct listing will show the mapping between Comcasts idea of channel number and XMLID.
2) MythTV uses frequencyID and subchannel to identify the channel, but it will never show you the subchannel (latest versions of
MythTV seem to name the channel with the frequencyID underscore Subchannel. This is a huge improvement)
3) SCTE65 scan will show you the mapping between frequencyID & subchannel to Comcasts idea of channel number, but only for the
standard definition channels they want you to know about.

Comcast in my area passes the OTA channel mapping through their system, so callsigns and channel numbers get set to their OTA
values.

So most of the channel XMLIDs you can get by looking at the scte65scan output, and schedulesdirect.
The OTA channels you should be able to figure out by looking at the call signs and schedulesdirect.
But that will always leave a handful of stations that you will just have to watch until they identify themselves.

So the procedure is:
Find the frequency ID & Subchannel number for the channel in the channel editor, and look at the scte65scan output to figure out
what comcasts channel number is for that channel.
With Comcasts channel number, find the XMLID in the schedules direct list and type that number into the channel editor.

When you run out of channels you can identify this way, look at the call signs for the channel in the channel editor (these will
only appear for the few OTA channels that comcast passes this data through for). find that callsign in the schedules direct
listing and copy its XMLID to the channel editor.

Then tune in the remaining unidentified channels and hope they identify themselves (usually on the hour).