[mythtv-users] Best way to organise lots of recordings [was: Column width difference title/recgroup]

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Oct 9 21:31:09 UTC 2010

Zitat von Jason Chambers <lists at purplish-monkey.com>:

> On 09/10/2010 10:52, Jan Schneider wrote:
>> Zitat von "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
>>> MENU|Change Group View|Show Program Titles
>>>
>>> Won't that do what you want?
>>
>> No, because this gets messy if you don't have a few series recorded only
>> but also a lot of movies. Say I have 100 movies recorded and a dozen
>> series. If you then show the program titles in the group/recording view,
>> you could as well don't group your recordings at all, because it really
>> doesn't help with organizing anymore.
>> What I have in mind is some semi-automatic 3rd level in the groupings,
>> depending on whether there is more than one recording for a recording
>> title. I for example have recording groups for series, documentary, etc.
>> All movies and anything else goes into the Default group. So as an
>> example, I'd would love to have a navigation like this:
>>
>> Default      -> Broken Flowers
>>              -> Prince of Persia
>> Documentary  -> Planet Earth
>>              -> Foo Bar
>> Series       -> Mad Men -> Episode 1
>>                         -> Episode 2
>>              -> Weeds   -> E01
>>                         -> E02
>>
>> The two-level navigation is fine as long as you either don't record many
>> different things, or you watch series quickly and delete the episodes if
>> you're done. As soon as you record either a lot of different stuff of
>> keep the series episodes, the recording view doesn't scale well for me.
>> As a workaround (and that gets us back to my original issue) I create
>> separate recording groups for those series that I don't view and delete
>> immediately, so that they don't pollute my "Series" recording group.
>
> Going away from the original problem here somewhat, but ...
>
> It took a while for me to find a method of organizing recordings that
> worked well too.
>
> The best way I found of organising the recordings were to create a
> couple of generic recording groups too (I have Comedy, Drama,
> Documentary and Films).
>
> However I then *only* list programme titles on the left hand-side (Menu
> -> Change Group View -> Show Titles). And I only view the screen one
> recording group at a time (using Menu -> Change Group Filter, or the
> using the fast-forward/rewind keys to cycle through them).
>
> http://www.purplish-monkey.com/little-chipmunk.jpg
>
> Although you have to press a key to switch between films and series
> rather than seeing them on the same screen at the same time that isn't a
> problem.  (And I generally know whether I'm in the mood for a film,
> documentary or series before I even turn the TV on anyway).
>
> The list on the left means it very easy to find a complete season of a
> particular show.  It can also be used to find things alphabetically when
> you know the name (even for one-off shows).  Yet its not annoying when
> the list gets long because its not a mixture of films, documentaries and
> series all dumped together.  So I don't have to delete stuff after
> [...]

Using hotkeys to cycle through the recording groups is probably a good
idea. I always used to switch using the menu when I was changing
groups, and that was kind of annoying and not really a solution
either. Haven't even thought of using key bindings for the cycling. I
will try that, thanks for the hint.
I still like my idea of three navigation levels though :)

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/