[mythtv-users] Will a 0.23.1 frontend be compatible with 0.23-fixes backends?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 02:58:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I'm thoroughly confused.I suppose I could be ok that it's running
> older
> > libraries or something since, as you said, 10.04 was out before 0.23, but
> > why the heck would the version show up as 0.23 if it's not a true 0.23?
> > take this a step further, are you saying that when I upgrade my systems
> > 10.10, it will bring Myth to 0.23.1, but when 0.24 comes out I'll remain
> at
> > 0.23.1 but the version number listed in my logs will change to 0.24?
> >
> > I think my brain just exploded.
>
> It's not as complicated as all of that.  For better or for worse, as
> soon as Ubuntu starts tracking trunk after a release, they bump their
> package version number to what the next version will be-- so trunk
> packages on Ubuntu right now are called ".24" even though no such
> thing exists yet.  The packages that 10.04 went out with were titled
> ".23" but were basically trunk packages from a ways before .23
> actually existed.  Unfortunately this means that a) All the bugs that
> got fixed after that, and there were many, were blamed on MythTV (even
> though we would never have released with those issues) and b) everyone
> running Ubuntu/Mythbuntu has to go through a special, somewhat
> unintuitive step of finding, downloading, and installing a particular
> repository package to get to what is *actually* .23, rather than it
> being pushed to htem as an update automatically.  It's something to do
> with Ubuntu package update policies and something some of us are not
> very happy about.  As a result, we've talked to the Mythbuntu guys and
> asked that this kind of thing not happen again (as it did for both .22
> and .23) and instead that they go with .23.1 for their next release as
> .24 will still be either pre-release or just-released, and neither
> team wants the blame or confusion of having delivered development code
> presented as release code.
>
> Robert

Wow. I feel like it's the end of Fight Club and everything I thought I knew
is wrong. Ok, maybe I'm being melodramatic, but it sounded good.

I tend to run two versions of myth - Prod, which is what my primary backends
and frontends all use for day to day recording. Then there's Dev, which I'll
have a box or two at home and one or two at work. The dev ones don't last
too long, they're generally for testing random stuff I think of at 3 in the
morning and since I'm a terrible Linux admin, they never seem to work out.

That being said, all my prod has always been straight downloads via Ubuntu's
repos, while dev usually comes from the Auto Builds at
http://www.mythbuntu.org/download-type . I always just assumed that Ubuntu
(via mythbuntu-control-centre, see my earlier posts) had the latest stable
channels and the auto-builds were more bleeding edge. I know that when you
set up the auto-build repos it lets you choose from -fixes or -trunk but I
still just assumed that these were both less stable, less tested versions of
Myth. What you've said totally makes sense but it really threw me for a loop
because it changes my whole perspective on how I should be building and
deploying my systems.