[mythtv-users] My perfect HTPC

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 23:12:26 UTC 2010

Thanks for all your help, I have a Western Digital 160GB SATA drive,
so I will start with it, in the future I will install the mini PCIe
SSD drive.

This morning I go to a local shop and I get these components:

Zotac ION ITX-E Sinergy Edition Mini-ITX [100 euro]
Aluminium LIAN LI PC-Q07 Mini-ITX box [55 euro]
500W 18DBA PFC power supply [25 euro]
Kingston Hyper X PC2-6400 800Mhz [50 euro]
TOTAL [230 euro]

Are all components well? Is very important to me the PCIe tunner, the
box has a slot for it.

Thanks for all your help, kind regards.

2010/10/7 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> On Thursday, October 07, 2010 01:37:29 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>   On 10/7/2010 15:02, Gavin Peters wrote:
>> > On my BE, the six drives consume 5.5w each at idle, for 33W.  Divide
>> > by 80%, and we're at 40w or so of load, call it 30 kwh/month.  If you
>> > let the BE drives spin down when not in use, and record to SSD, you're
>> > likely saving quite a bit of power.
>>
>> Or you could record to normal hard drives, and spin them down when not
>> in use.  Recording and playback is only going to occur for a couple
>> hours a day, and even then you only need to spin up those you are
>> actually using.  That 30kWh/mo is going to be cut down to well under
>> 5kWh/mo.  Makes the SSD option considerably less economical.
>
> I know there are some "hybrid" drives that are part SSD, and part conventional platters, essentially normal HDDs with huge
> caches (on the order of tens of gigabytes).
>
> I wonder if we will ever see any of these units where the spinning platters can be spun down, and you are still able to
> read and write to the SSD portion, perhaps even with automatic transfer to the platters when they are spun up.
>
> I suppose you could rig up something like this with a small conventional SSD and HDD and some software, but it sure would
> be convenient to have it pre-packaged.
>
> But I still wonder about the effect on the service life of spinning down drives regularly. Most electronics is happiest
> when run 24/7, but conventional HDDs that can be spun down may leave the electronics on and just stop the motor.
>
> Did the Google study address this? I don;t recall seeing it in there, but I did not read it thoroughly.

Josu Lazkano