[mythtv-users] Newegg has sale this weekend on WD HD player

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Fri Oct 8 20:42:10 UTC 2010

Ben Kamen wrote:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136472
>
> Interesting little box - I wonder what's under the hood and if anyone
> here has experienced/encountered them.
>
> -Ben

Not a WD but:
I just got a Asus O!play a short time ago and I'm very impressed with it.
The first use is just as a streamer box to put myth captured video up on
a Samsung LCD in the family room and it does this very well either from
a USB device or off the cat5E.
The ongoing project is to mix and match the O!play, HDHR, Dockstar, any
of a stack of Thinkpads, and ??? in the best manner to achieve a low
standby power system.
My short, initial foray into the guts of the box shows that it seems to
be wide-open linux and is probably quite hackable, a major plus in my book.
The “Online media” menu selection is either broken on so poorly
documented that I really can't figure it out but this was not one of the
major reasons for buying the box.
I would like to hear from any others that have this unit.