[mythtv-users] Is this system just too old?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 7 00:22:39 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
  From: Justin Bracken
  To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
  Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:49 PM
  Subject: [mythtv-users] Is this system just too old?

  Hello all,

  Here are the specifications on my computer. This is a frontend only computer. Some of the playback seems problematic. Is this
system too old/too slow for HD playback?

  processor : 0
  vendor_id : GenuineIntel
  cpu family : 15
  model : 1
  model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
  stepping : 2
  cpu MHz : 1603.625
  cache size : 256 KB
  fdiv_bug : no
  hlt_bug : no
  f00f_bug : no
  coma_bug : no
  fpu : yes
  fpu_exception : yes
  cpuid level : 2
  wp : yes
  flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm up pebs
bts
  bogomips : 3207.25
  clflush size : 64
  cache_alignment : 128
  power management:

  MemTotal:        1026384 kB

  It meets the miniumum specifications found here:
  http://www.mythbuntu.org/requirements

  What should I tweak? I have no tuner card in this machine so its all cpu power for playback.

  Thanks for any help you can provide!

  If your motherboard is compatible with the NVIDIA vdpau PCI video cards and will support the PCI current load (P4 should) then its
not too old for HD.  It would be fine as a HD frontend and would be slow comflagging as a BE but I expect would also work fine as a
BE esp if not commflagging.