[mythtv-users] Mount music on frontends

emarkert at aim.com emarkert at aim.com
Wed Oct 6 22:50:26 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wed, Oct 6, 2010 6:27 pm
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mount music on frontends

  On 10/6/2010 17:13, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 06, 2010 02:58:23 pm Josu Lazkano wrote:
>> Hello everybody! I have a backend/fronted HTPC with lots of music on
>> the hard disk. I use MythMusic plugin to play. I have two laptos that
>> works as fronteds, I want to play all the music on them.
>>
>> Is there any script to mount the backend music folder on the laptops
>> when mythfronted starts?
>>
>> Is there any better solution?
>>
>> I prefer to use SSH mount, is better than SMB?
> SSH uses encryption, with the overhead that encryption/decryption entails.

If you want to use smb, then you need to install smbfs.  Then you can mount the smb share specifying -t cifs in the mount syntax.

Someone else mentioned autofs, you can use autofs with smbfs to automatically detect and remount a share.  autofs will also avoid errors when you logoff the frontend or shut it down and the smb mount hasn't been unmounted first.

Works great.  I haven't used it to stream music, just copy large video recordings from my notebook to my server.  Should be more than able to handle music though.