[mythtv-users] a read-only disk/directory in a storage group?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Oct 6 13:24:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:53 AM, Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace.net.au>wrote:

> On 10/05/2010 08:30 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > Let's say I have two disks/directories in a storage group and I want to
> > prevent one of them (because it's stupid XFS and corrupting on write --
> > the last time I will ever use XFS) from being written to further yet I
> > want to leave it in the storage group for reading from.
> >
> > Can I instruct myth to use it only for reading from?
>
> why not use that bash script someone wrote? (looking...)
> MythMediaMonitor!
>
> Take the XFS directory out of the storage directory list, then make a
> new partition (Ext3 or whatever) and put that in your storage directory
> list.  Run MythMediaMonitor over the XFS directory, and it will create
> simlinks in the ext3 directory back to your XFS directory, not touching
> XFS at all.
>
> So far MythMediaMonitor doesn't touch the underlying files when myth
> deletes the symlinks.
>
> The second advantage of this is that any NEW recorded stuff will go in
> your ext3 directory, again leaving XFS alone.
>
> ooooohh, sounds like a plan!!
>
> ;)
> --

I second Ian's solution... however I am not sure that a MythMediaMonitor is
really necessary... you could just as easily do it with a single command
from the command line.  (
http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/1225/symlink-all-files-from-a-base-directory-to-a-target-directory
)

Just create a new folder, point your Storage Group at it, and symlink all of
the data from your old folder into it.   Might be some permissions issues to
resolve, but it should work.  Not sure it will handle delete's right though.