[mythtv-users] [retry] Judder-free playback leads to bad audio sync?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Tue Oct 5 19:21:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 13:26 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
> I have always had underpowered machines for mythtv (although vdpau
> capable)..  I have seen over and over Robert Wagner warn against
> underpowered machine..  Until yesterday, I did not fullty realize what
> everyone was saying..
>
> Are the sample rates different (video or audio) for what your
> connected to?  You can always try the multi/resolution thing (wiki out
> there), but I suspect your hardware cannot keep up with the demands..
>
> After I used a full cpu (supports all recent x86 instructions), I'll
> never go back  :)
>
> I have had 4 videos for for 2 years that no matter what I did would
> not sync..  Needless to say, my family thought I was more of a
> dumbshit than they gave me credit for (since they all came over to
> watch after football games), but it is all better with with supported
> hardware..

I do not think I am under-powered:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 microprocessor – 64 bit, 4 MB cache, 2.66 MHz,
1066 MHz FS

3 GB RAM (way too much in fact)

PNY GeForce GT 220 PCI-E 1GB video card with VDPAU

Full specs here:

http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/

The judder-free wiki page is what I have followed.

And still...

And the videos sync very well with standard freqs.

Nico