[mythtv-users] Matrox Millennium G400 MAX

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 5 00:21:10 UTC 2010

On Monday, October 04, 2010 02:46:56 pm mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > Composite and S-Video are limited to SD, and nobody wants to sell (or
> >buy) anything that's not HD-capable today.
>
> Oh, not true at all. When we're watching home theater, we like HD. When
> we're just watching from any room in the house over the coax, SD is just
> fine.
>
> So, a decent SD card would do just fine for me and I'll use something else
> for HD.

So do you store two copies of everything (SD and HD), or convert on the fly? Some other solution?

I have an old one-lung Athlon machine with a 5700 video card running a MythDora5 FE/BE, it's a very nice SD "appliance",
so well debugged that it just runs. I'd feel comfortable turning it over to any non-technical user (but I won't). A nice
bedroom machine, better by far than any Tivo, and no reason to ever touch it except to operate it.

But I wouldn't buy anything today that was not HD-capable.