[mythtv-users] Legacy NVIDIA in Ubuntu 10.10 [was: Matrox Millennium G400 MAX]

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Oct 4 22:21:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 22:44 +0100, Steve Smith wrote:

> On 4 October 2010 20:20, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 13:05 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> >
> > The 5200 will probably require the legacy driver, but should work,
> you
> > should even be able to get XVmC to work for MPEG2
> > stuff.
> >
> > Careful with legacy NVIDIA drivers.
> >
> > The trouble is that the upcoming cycle of common distros will have X
> server
> > 1.9. NVIDIA has the mainline driver adapted to the new ABI, but not
> the
> > legacy versions. So the proprietary legacy drivers won't work.
> NVIDIA has
> > clearly announced that porting the legacy stuff is low on their
> priority
> > list.
> >
> > I am reverting an old laptop from Maverick to Lucid for this reason.
> >
> > Yes, old hardware gets stale support... Another dead horse, maybe...
> >
> > Nico
>
> Nico,
>
> Thanks for the heads up on this one... looks like I'll be sticking on
> Ubuntu 10.0.4 then! Still it's a Myth box, for 1 specific purpose (ie.
> Myth) so upgrades not so necessary. (So long as Myth doesn't start
> requiring some latest & greatest libraries again....)

Exact details in links down the message.

It looks like that if you require the 173 series, you are out of the
woods as of today in Maverick (10.10).

If you require the 96 series... oops. At least at release time, but
there is hope on the NVIDIA front. My old laptop needs this one...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/626974
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-173/+bug/626918

Nico