[mythtv-users] Matrox Millennium G400 MAX

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:44:23 UTC 2010

On 4 October 2010 20:20, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 13:05 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>
> The 5200 will probably require the legacy driver, but should work, you
> should even be able to get XVmC to work for MPEG2
> stuff.
>
> Careful with legacy NVIDIA drivers.
>
> The trouble is that the upcoming cycle of common distros will have X server
> 1.9. NVIDIA has the mainline driver adapted to the new ABI, but not the
> legacy versions. So the proprietary legacy drivers won't work. NVIDIA has
> clearly announced that porting the legacy stuff is low on their priority
> list.
>
> I am reverting an old laptop from Maverick to Lucid for this reason.
>
> Yes, old hardware gets stale support... Another dead horse, maybe...
>
> Nico

Nico,

Thanks for the heads up on this one... looks like I'll be sticking on
Ubuntu 10.0.4 then! Still it's a Myth box, for 1 specific purpose (ie.
Myth) so upgrades not so necessary. (So long as Myth doesn't start
requiring some latest & greatest libraries again....)

<Whinge mode on>
The last 2 myth upgrades I've done have been for improvements in the
backend (multirec in .21 and better DVB tuning & eit support in .23),
it's annoying having to risk upgrading the frontend as well on my
ancient hardware.
It'd be nice if Myth defined a "core" protocol to allow older
frontends to work with newer backends. By all means add new
functionality to a non-core protocol, but keep the core relatively
fixed. The advantage of this would be to provide flexibility for
upgrading the front & backends separately (albeit without necessarily
gaining all the new functionality).

Another potential advantage might be that commercial front-ends might
be developed as the developers would be able to design to a fixed
standard.
</whinge mode off>